Last weekend Stella Maris Academy placed second overall out of 22 participating schools in the 21st Annual San Diego Diocese Academic Junior High Decathlon. The Academic Junior High Decathlon is a competition for students in sixth through eighth grade and comprises of ten events. Two are collaborative team efforts – a logic quiz with 20 rigorous thinking problems, and a super quiz with 50 multiple choice questions on five broad academic themes. The remaining eight events test individual knowledge of the Roman Catholic doctrine, English, literature, science, mathematics, current events, social studies, and fine arts. Awards are given for individual and team performance. We placed third in logic and took home two first place trophies in religion and social studies, as well as a second place in science and a fourth place in literature. We are so proud of our students and all of their hard work representing our school in this capacity.
The five goals of the Decathlon are:
- to promote academic excellence
- to promote collaborative spirit and cooperative learning skills
- to promote logical and higher order thinking
- to recognize the contributions of parents, teachers, school administrators, and business and community members in supporting high standards for all students; and
- to celebrate the diversity, excellence, and tradition of Catholic schools
Great job SMA!!!